Sunday, March 8, 2009

All around the world


So yes, it has been awhile. And quite frankly I don't know how to make it up except to write a another blog, so here I go.




Whirlwind Southern Spain trip:

That was a world and a half- who knew that all within the same country ideas and cultures could completely change. Madrid, Cordoba, Grenada, Seville, Merida in 8ish days. Each city had its own vibe and social interaction, along with new colors and new architectural marvels. In Madrid it was interesting to focus on how the Palace is on one side and the Paseo de Prado is on the other and that is what contains or forms the edge of the old city. Past those, the city changes into its new ideas and more modern flavors. But to notice how these things change from one side of the street to the other how it inadvertanly creates an edge. In the city of Cordoba we did not spend much time, nor did we have to. The city itself is very small and compact- but with an early morning walk I was able to discover that there is a modern side to the city, with large blocks and multiple laned streets, once again on the outskirts of the old city. Grenada, a beautiful city but I have not quite figured out how to classify the city yet modern or old. But the further south, such as Grenada, we go the more spanish you see and feel but also the more arabic influences as well. There is no wall or edge to explain the influence of Arabic architecture, for it was something that slowly ate away at Andulusia so when one travels to all of these cities they in a way all tie back together. Seville was just all around more colorful than any of the other cities and a lot larger than I ever expected. Last but not least Merida, the city of Roman ruins. It was a nice change from what we had seen along the trip and in Barcelona as well. It gives one a little snap back to reality that there was something here years and years before us.

Once circling back at the end of the trip and back on the train to Barcelona I had the time to sit and actually think about the cities and the places that we had just been to. And when everyone asks which one is your favorite and I couldn't think of one I now understand why. All in all each city, to me, had a completly different flavor, where I liked each one for what it had to offer. But there is no "favorite" or "Best" in my book, it was what does give off and offer to the surrounding people.







Then back in Barcelona we had a brezze of two weeks, a project, family and friends visiting, the Sagada Familia, the beginning of Lent, and the arrival an preparation for spring break. It was a crazy two weeks let me just leave it at that.












From there Spring Break:
Istanbul & Prague

This was beyond anything that I could have ever imagined and possibly my most favorite trip I have ever taken. Turkey was beyond amazing, I don't even know how to describe it and let me tell you it was an ambitious 3 days. We tried to hit as much as we could and I am pretty sure we succeeded. The buildings, the people, their lifestyle was just amazing I would go back in a heart beat. The problem is that is was so amazing that I don't even know how to put it into words. Aya Sofia, the Blue Mosque, the Baslica Cistern, The Grand Bazaar, The Spice Bazaar, The Palace, the Ferry rides to Asia, The 4th largest suppension bridge in the world, the Istanbul Modern, THE FOOOD!

Then to Prague, saw the biggest castle in the world, charles bridge, Old town Square, the Astronomical Clock, The Tyn Church, Fred and Ginger, National Museum, Wincelas square, the Jewish cemetery, the Municpal House and so many more things. The two cities were just phenominal each with new and greater things to offer.

This weekend Northern Spain...

No comments:

Post a Comment